Open, Participate, Engage, Negotiate.
A pre-festival of ideas, The O.P.E.N. is a public engagement initiative from the Singapore International Festival of Arts (SIFA) that offers 5 weeks of exploration. It raises fascinating questions and offers eye-opening insights about our world and humanity.
The O.P.E.N. connects you with SIFA at the start of the Festival season. It directs you to consider a breadth of issues and perspectives inspired by SIFA’s annual festival theme. Styled as a popular academy, it presents a curated selection of events through diverse platforms.
The theme for 2017 is ENCHANTMENT
The curatorial theme for SIFA 2017 is “Enchantment”.
“The overall effect of enchantment is a mood of fullness, plenitude, or liveliness, a sense of having had one’s nerves or circulation or concentration powers turned up or recharged – a shot in the arm, a fleeting return to childlike excitement about life.”
~ Jane Bennett, The Enchantment of Modern Life, 2001
- Enchantment will bring us back to the unusual and unexpected of everyday life
- Enchantment is animating pleasure.
- Enchantment in this age of disenchantment is to stay connected to issues, to still believe, to still engage because it is important.
- Enchantment is opposed to cynicism for “cynicism reduces expectations of the State and thus diminishes the will to respond collectively to injustices.”
- Enchantment is an antidote against populism, alienation, against excessive rationality and control.
- Enchantment is about moments of pure presence in a future of ethical generosity.